.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, November 30, 2007

Clinton pledges caution on Social Security changes

I read this article about Hillary Clinton's ideas on Social Security and it got me thinking about our discussions of Social Security in class. I am now convinced that Social Security is heavily flawed. At the same time though, i wonder how many of the people who complain about it will act when they are collecting it.....assuming it survives that long. The class discussion reminded me of an episode of Futurama; a cartoon created by the people who created The Simpsons. In this episode time itself was instantly progressing through years and years in split seconds. Two young boys stood in front of a Social Security building complaining about having to pay money to old people. They instantly progressed into old age complaining that they wanted their money. It was funny but it also brought up an interesting point. In all likelihood, many of the people who complain about Social Security now will be more than pleased when they are on the recieving end of it rather than the giving end. This makes me think that the idea of Social Security will be around for a long time. The majority of voters are those who collect the S.S. benefits, not the ones who pay them. Its a cycle that looks to continue well into the future. As a matter of fact, I will guarantee that if I am collecting Social Security one day I will praise it even though I despise paying for it now. THIS WAS WRITTEN BY: DAVID BIONDO

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?